Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Countdown is ON!!!

So I have spent the last 6 days couped up in my house on bed rest. To be fair I have had a few outings. I had two doctor's appointments that turned into two hospital visits. I think they were each good for 3 or 4 hours out. We went out to eat a few times and we took Kendyl to Build a Bear.

Now I know if probably seems like Build a Bear would not fall into the bed rest category, but I did it as safely as I could. It has been my plan for quite some time to take her to Build a Bear before her sister came. We were using it as a bribe to keep her in her bed and she came so close so many times that I finally gave up on that and decided to just take her. I cannot begin to tell you how excited she was. She was practically bouncing in her car seat the entire way to the mall.

So once I decided we were for sure going I did a little research. I found out what time the mall opened and where exactly Build a Bear was in that mall. It isn't in the mall we usually go to so I wasn't entirely sure. I made sure we got there just before the mall opened so we could get a close parking spot and be first in line. It all worked out very well and we were in and out in about 20 minutes. I had decided this would be OK because the nurse at the hospital said I was good to cook dinner if I wanted and Build a Bear is way less stressful than that :-).

So let me back up and tell you why I am on bed rest. I went to the doctor last Wednesday. It was my last appointment with the high risk doctor and they were going to check Madelyn's growth and make sure my blood sugar was cooperating. They did an ultrasound and she was 5 lbs 8 oz. That put her in the 15th percentile. They tend to not like babies to be under the 20th percentile so they didn't like that too much. Before they did the ultrasound they took my blood pressure and it was a little high. When you put those together the doctor was none too happy so he sent me home on bed rest until my appointment with my personal doctor the next day.

I fully expected to go to the doctor the next day and everything be fine, like it has been all along, and get sent home to return to work the next day. I was wrong. My blood pressure was a little high when I got there and had gone down slightly during my non stress test, but it was pretty high by the time I was ready to leave. So high that my doctor instructed me to go to the hospital. Joy.

I spent a couple hours getting monitored and my bloodpressure went down so they sent me home on bedrest until my Monday appointment. So yesterday I went back to the doctor. My blood pressure was still high when I got there. They sent me in for my non stress test and my doctor came to see me. The first thing she said is, " We aren't going to make it until next week". I already expected this so it was not a surprise. She told me she wanted to schedule a C section for the next morning. Unfortunately she couldn't find a hospital with any openings so she sent me back over to get monitored. Her reasoning was if my blood pressure didn't go down they could work me earlier than if we just scheduled the surgery. She also said if it went down she was OK with scheduling it later in the week. It went down and my blood work was fine so I was discharged on bed rest and we have scheduled my C section for FRIDAY!!! I do still have a doctor's appointment on Thursday and I suppose there is still a chance Madelyn could come on her own before then, but right now the plan is July 24.

That means I get to meet Madelyn in 3 DAYS!!!

No comments: